Fitted Flyscreens: Everything You Need to Know
Fitted flyscreens are a great way to keep insects out of your home while still allowing fresh air to circulate. They come in a variety of styles and materials, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget.
Although at Phantom Screens, we only supply high quality fully fitted retractable flyscreens, there are other types available. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of fitted flyscreens, how to choose the right one for your home, and how to care for it so that it lasts for years to come.
What are fitted flyscreens?
Fitted flyscreens are screens that are permanently attached to your windows or doors. They are made of a fine mesh that allows air to pass through, but keeps insects out.
There are two main types of fitted flyscreens: retractable and fixed. Retractable flyscreens can be rolled up into a cassette when they are not in use, but the cassette is permanently fixed to your window or door frames. Fixed flyscreens are permanently in place and cannot be retracted.
Types of fitted flyscreens
There are a variety of different types of fitted flyscreens available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Retractable flyscreens: Retractable flyscreens are the most popular type of fitted flyscreen. They are easy to use and roll up into a cassette when they are not in use. However, they can be more expensive than other types of flyscreens.
- Fixed flyscreens: Fixed flyscreens are permanently in place. They are a durable options, but they can be more difficult to install.
- Hinged flyscreens are similar to fixed flyscreens, but they have hinges that allow them to be opened and closed. This makes them a good option for doors that are used frequently. Hinged insect screens for windows or doors are very popular in north American homes.
- Magnetic flyscreens: Magnetic flyscreens are a type of retractable flyscreen that use magnets to hold the screen in place, or to clasp a mesh opening together. They are a good option for windows that are difficult to reach and are the cheapest option.
How to choose the right fitted flyscreen
When choosing a fitted flyscreen, there are a few factors you need to consider:
- The size of your windows or doors: You need to make sure that the flyscreen is the right size for your windows or doors. At Phantom Screens, we undertake a professional survey before installation to make sure they fit perfectly for years to come. All our screens are professionally fitted so you don’t have to worry about this at all.
- The type of insect protection you need: Some flyscreens are better at keeping out mosquitoes and midges out than others. Talk to your surveyor about the mesh size and types available to you.
- The style of your home: You want to choose a flyscreen that matches the style of your home. At Phantom Screens, we can colour match your screen frames tot the exact RAL colour of your existing window and door frames, so they not only fit seamlessly, but will feel like part of your home décor – disappearing when not in use.
- Your budget: Fitted flyscreens can range in price from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand, depending on the size, fit, integration options and whether you choose manual or powered screens.
How to care for your fitted flyscreen
With proper care, your fitted flyscreen can last for many years. Here are a few tips on how to care for your flyscreen:
- Clean it regularly: Dust and dirt can build up on your flyscreen, making it potentially less effective at keeping insects out. You can clean your flyscreen with a mild soap and water solution, and a soft brush. Hoovering out the mesh track at the start of every season will help keep it retracting correctly too.
- Inspect it for damage: Inspect your flyscreen regularly for any signs of damage, such as tears or holes. Phantom Screens’ insect screens are made with very durable PVC-coated fibreglass mesh designed to withstand wind and rain, and is very difficult to tear.
Fitted flyscreens are a great way to keep insects out of your home while still allowing fresh air to circulate. They come in a variety of styles and materials, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget. With proper care, your fitted flyscreen can last for many years.
Get in touch
Looking to upgrade your home? Our bespoke screens are made to measure and handcrafted in our factory in Peterborough, and are then installed by our Phantom-trained Experts all over the country. All Phantom Screens can be colour matched to any RAL colour, ensuring they blend with your design. Phantom Screens’ clean lines keep them discreet and understated – and don’t compromise on architectural design.
Following a free home survey, each manual and smart screen is tailormade in our factory for either an internal or external fit.
Whether you’re looking for Power Screens, manual screens for doors and windows, or Power Blinds – we have the solution your home requires. Get in touch today to discuss your home’s requirements with our team of experts.
Are you an interior designer or an architect? We understand the importance of blending in using RAL colour matching. Our products are discreet and look as if they have always been part of the home design – see our latest integrated screens installs here.
Explore our screens
Take a closer look at our range of insect screens here: